Gannon Municipal Golf Course occupies part of the Lynn Woods Reservation, a 220-acre municipal forest that is the second-largest of its kind in the country after Philadelphia's Fairmount Park. The city of Lynn opened the course in 1931 as a Depression-era public works project, using welfare-relief labor to help build it on land carved out of the reservation. Golden Age architect Wayne Stiles, a contemporary of Donald Ross, laid out the 18 holes across roughly 180 acres of the wooded terrain, with ponds coming into play on the 14th and 18th. The course played for decades as "Happy Valley" before being renamed for longtime club figure Larry Gannon in 1975.
The par-71 layout stretches to 6,110 yards from the back markers, with White, Green, and Gold tees offering shorter options for a range of players. It is owned by the city and operated by Golf Facilities Management Inc., with Steve Murphy overseeing course conditioning for decades. Play is organized around a resident/non-resident daily-fee structure alongside seasonal memberships, with members given priority tee times and the public able to book in advance, making the course a semi-private municipal operation rather than fully open access.
The course is an 18-hole golf course. It plays to par 71, 5,587m (6,110 yards), course rating 75.9 and slope rating 126. Designed by Wayne Stiles, the course originally opened in 1931. It is semi-private, welcoming both members and visitors. On-site facilities include Pro Shop, Function Room, Practice Green, Golf Cart Rental, Golf Lessons, Club Hire.
The course exists because the city of Lynn needed work for its unemployed as much as it needed a golf course. Plans for a municipal links inside the little-used Lynn Woods Reservation had been discussed for more than a year before the 1929 stock market crash, and some in the city dismissed the idea as absurd once the Depression set in. Parks superintendent John Morrissey and park commission chairman Albert Comstock pushed ahead anyway, convinced a public course could support itself the way one Comstock had helped build in Wilton, Connecticut, had.
The Welfare Department, under Joseph Cole, supplied the workforce: roughly 800 men on relief, growing to 1,500 as construction ramped up, were put to work building the course and clubhouse under a special act of the Massachusetts legislature, allowing them to earn their welfare payments through labor rather than a handout. The course opened for play in 1931 on land assembled over the years through city purchase, donations, and annexation of swamp and pond acreage. It was named Lynn Woods Municipal Golf Links, with "Happy Valley" as an informal second name taken from an old parks-department reference to the site, a name that stuck until the course was renamed Larry Gannon Golf Course in 1975.
Wayne Stiles, a Boston-based Golden Age architect working in the same era as Donald Ross, routed the 18 holes through the wooded, pond-dotted terrain of the reservation rather than reshaping it heavily. The layout plays to a par of 70-71 depending on tee, stretching to about 6,110 yards from the back markers, with water coming into play on the 14th and 18th holes.
The course had no irrigation system for its first three decades and depended on natural rainfall until the city funded a $60,000 system that came online in 1965. Tees went from dirt to Astroturf in 1968, before the park commission hired its first accredited superintendent in 1976: Steve Murphy, a Stockbridge School of Agriculture graduate who replaced the artificial turf with 18 grass tees, added roughly 20 bunkers to bring the course to 23 total, and dredged the ponds on the 14th and 18th holes. Murphy remained the course's superintendent for decades afterward.
The course hosted the 1941 Massachusetts Public Links Championship while still known as Happy Valley. Two of its earliest amateur standouts, Les Kennedy and Sam Videtta, went on to careers as New England club professionals; Kennedy later led the 1949 U.S. Open after the first round, played in the 1950 Masters, and was inducted into the New England PGA Hall of Fame in 1998.
Gannon Municipal Golf Course remains city-owned, operated by Golf Facilities Management Inc., and continues to combine seasonal memberships with daily-fee public play. The clubhouse's function room is used for weddings and other private events alongside the golf operation.
No conditions reported yet
to report conditions

Help other golfers by uploading photos from your visit.
| Fee Type | Price | Notes |
|---|---|---|
| Weekend | ||
| Weekend 18 Hole Green Fee for a Non-Resident of Lynn | $57 | Weekend, 18 holes |
| Weekend 9 Hole Green Fee for a Non-Resident of Lynn | $29 | Weekend, 9 holes |
| Weekend 9 Hole Green Fee for a Lynn Resident | $26 | Weekend, 9 holes |
| Weekend 18 Hole Green Fee for a Lynn Resident | $51 | Weekend, 18 holes |
| Weekday | ||
| Weekday 9 Hole Green Fee for a Lynn Resident | $25 | Weekday, 9 holes |
| Weekday 9 Hole Green Fee for a Non-Resident of Lynn | $27 | Weekday, 9 holes |
| Weekday 18 Hole Green Fee for a Lynn Resident | $45 | Weekday, 18 holes |
| Weekday 18 Hole Green Fee for a Non-Resident of Lynn | $49 | Weekday, 18 holes |
Prices are indicative and subject to change. Contact the course to confirm current rates.
| Front 9 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Out |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Par | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 34 |
| Metres | 320 | 277 | 326 | 367 | 302 | 170 | 291 | 380 | 196 | 2629 |
| Yards | 350 | 303 | 357 | 401 | 330 | 186 | 318 | 416 | 214 | 2875 |
| Index | 5 | 15 | 7 | 1 | 11 | 17 | 9 | 3 | 13 | - |
| Back 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | In | Total |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Par | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 5 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 36 | 70 |
| Metres | 283 | 357 | 367 | 340 | 146 | 440 | 206 | 295 | 525 | 2959 | 5588 |
| Yards | 309 | 390 | 401 | 372 | 160 | 481 | 225 | 323 | 574 | 3235 | 6110 |
| Index | 16 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 18 | 12 | 10 | 14 | 2 | - | - |
Help other golfers by sharing what the course was like when you played.